Department of Home Affairs Tightens Background Checks for MSIC
Recent legislative requirements set forth by the Department of Home Affairs has streamlined the MSIC scheme, further strengthening the background check process.
At the time of this writing, the extensive background check process consists of:
- a security assessment by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO)
- a criminal history check by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC)
- an immigration check (if required) by the Department, to confirm the right to work in Australia
- a document verification service (DVS) by the Department of your Australian ID against the document issuing agency
While we strive to make the application process easy and seamless for our customers, the background check itself, may take longer periods of time. Unfortunately, this is something that is beyond our control.
Therefore, we recommend that customers adhere to the following to minimize the time taken to obtain their MSIC cards:
- Have all the information required, at hand, when making the application. With the correct documents, applications can be submitted online and the forms lodged at the nearest post office within a day.
- If you’ve already applied for a card and are undergoing a background check, please remain patient
- If the card is due for renewal, start as soon as you can and ensure you complete the application accurately in one go.
If you have any questions about our security card products, click HERE, or contact us on 1300 881 055.